It’s time to make it official! Here’s what you need to get your marriage license and turn that pretty party into a wedding!
As a Houston wedding planner, I’m often asked how to obtain a marriage license. Here’s what you need to know:
Where to Start:
- Decide which County Clerk office you’ll go to.
- Begin the process by filling out a Marriage License Application on the County Clerk’s website.
- Plan a visit to the County Clerk’s office for a day you’ll both be available to go in-person. You typically do not need an appointment, but be prepared to wait a bit.
What to Bring:
- You’ll need to present a valid photo ID for each party. This may be a drivers license, state ID card, passport, resident alien card, or other government-issued identification.
- Know your SSN or bring it with you to fill out forms
- Bring $74, preferably in cash for the license. Credit and debit cards typically incur a fee.
- You’ll need to fill out a Marriage License Application online prior to obtaining your license at the County Clerk’s office.
- Both parties will need to be present at the County Clerk’s office in order to obtain the license. There are few exceptions when an Affidavit of Absent Applicant may be used.
- Different counties have different options for the design of the marriage license
- The $74 fee may be reduced to $15 with completion of a state-approved marriage preparation course.
- There is a 72 hour waiting period after you receive your application to when you may be married. Don’t procrastinate!
- A Texas marriage license expires after 90 days
- A marriage license issued in Texas can be used anywhere in Texas
- Your officiant is responsible for filing the license within 30 days of the wedding date
Where to Go: You can obtain a license at any County Clerk office in Texas. Below is a list of locations in Harris County:
- Main Office/Downtown
201 Caroline St., 3rd Floor Houston, TX 77002
- Baytown Annex
701 W. Baker Rd. Baytown, TX 77521
- Chimney Rock Annex
6000 Chimney Rock Rd. Houston, TX 77081
- Clay Road Annex
16715 Clay Rd. Houston, TX 77084
- Clear Lake Annex
16603 Buccaneer Ln. Houston, TX 77062
- Cypresswood Annex
6831 Cypresswood Dr. Spring, TX 77379
- Humble Annex
7900 Will Clayton Pkwy. Humble, TX 77338
- North Shepherd Annex
7300 N. Shepherd Dr. Houston, TX 77091
- Pasadena Annex
101 S. Richey St. Pasadena, TX 77506
- South Belt Annex
10851 Scarsdale Blvd. Houston, TX 77089
- Wallisville Annex
14350 Wallisville Road, Suite 111 Houston, TX 77049
Congratulations and Happy Planning!